Sunday 22 July 2012

A Racing Car Cake

My younger son turned 5 last December. It was during that time when our new house was handed over and we were right in the mist of preparing to move. In fact, we officially moved into our new house one day before his birthday. As a result, it was a very simple and low-key celebration for our son, who had to make do with a chocolate mud cake from Coles.


When I finally found the time after being more settled, which was about a month after his actual birthday, I decided to make him a "make-up" birthday cake. When asked what kind of cake he wanted, he said a "racing car cake". Your wish is my desire, master.




I had no experience sculpting cakes but I imagined that I could possibly stack 2 rectangular chocolate cakes (baked in bread tins) together and shape the top layer to make the shape of the car. I covered the cake in chocolate icing and blue fondant and then came the challenge. How am I going to make the spoiler? I experimented with coating a biscuit with fondant but it looked very heavy. Finally I made the spoiler using a Kit-Kat wafer balanced on 2 Nutrigrain cereal :) The wheels were made with Oreo cookies. I had a hard time sticking them into the cavity and after a day, the cookie tires started getting soft and the car started to slant a little....lol. 


Despite all these, my little 'master' loved his cake. And his smile of happiness is what is most important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment