Monday 26 November 2012

Flash Cake

This cake had many firsts for me. 

First of all, it was my first time making a sugar figurine of a person and it was my first time hearing of the superhero Flash. I had to google to get an idea of the man and then I recalled vaguely this very unfamiliar red suited hero during my childhood days. It was also my first time making a non-dairy cake. 

Flash Cake

Luckily, Brandon's mom was very patient and understanding. She volunteered to supply me with the non-dairy cake mix and chocolate to make the cake for her lactose intolerant son as she wanted him to have a taste of his own birthday cake.

Following the cake mix instruction was easy, only problem was it didn't raise. Probably because no eggs were added. The 8" cake turned out slightly crispy and really short. I had to rush to the supermarket to get another pack of mix to make one more layer to get the cake looking taller. The cake was then coated with non-dairy chocolate ganache (made with non-dairy chocolate, soy milk and margerine) before covering with fondant.

I then made a lightning flash shaped platform for Flash to stand on. It was a rectangular block of madiera cake, cut diagonally and slided apart to make like a "Z" shape. As it was for a 3 year old, I made a cute version of Flash and I hoped Brandon did get a taste of the cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment